Over the Christmas break I had this idea to put together little challenges or tasks for 2021. Something to get us thinking about the different aspects of our training, keep us motivated, help with current issues or just something we haven’t thought about before. It is not something competitive to see who can do something ‘better’!
This month for January I wanted to do a ‘transitions’ task.
Now this training task will focus on:
Transitions within the gait
- Trot– focusing on the horse to wait and to be able to come back on our aids then to be able to go back into a working trot again.
- Canter – If you have a few more miles under your belt to be able to play around with the canter more, it’s a great exercise to start to work with.
Things to think about:
- Keeping balance – not letting them want to pick up the lateral pair. They must keep the diagonal pair.
- Connection in the bridle- keep a consistent contact and connection with the frame. We don’t want the frame/posture to change only the tempo.
- Not to bring them back too far and getting stuck.
- The idea is to keep the balance throughout the exercise being adjustable within the trot or canter work.
- Finding that area where they might want to break into a pace. When you find that area and build on from it, you’ll know where your limits are.
- If they are wanting to break into a pace while doing this exercise. Start to troubleshoot.
- Bring it onto a 20m circle.
- While in working trot, connecting your inside leg to your outside rein. This is helping to connect the horses inside hind leg to the outside shoulder.
- Make sure you have a good connection through the reins and into the bridle.
- Ride a shoulder fore on the circle before starting to play around with the transitions.
Benefits of this task:
- Great exercise when you’re warming up if they are behind your leg
- Finding more gears within your work
- Getting the horse to use their hind quarters more
- Will improve transitions in and out
Share your videos in the Team Standardbred Facebook group or if you don’t want to post in the group send them to me directly!
I’ll be popping up my video over the next few days!
Just remember we are all on this training train together 🙂